Warning Signs African American Women Should Not Ignore
Recently, a friend revealed that his wife experienced an acute, onset of symptoms which neither of them recognized as serious. They thought she should stay home to see if the symptoms would cease and she almost died from taking this approach.
These are some symptoms that require immediate attention:
- A sudden onset of headache
- A sudden onset of fatigue, shortness of breath, and chest pain
- A two week history of bloating
- Vaginal bleeding between periods
- Acute onset of abdominal pain that does not cease
- Acute pain and swelling of the calf muscles
- Loss of balance, with blurred vision, slurred speech, and weakness in one arm
- A rash or lump in the breast
- A rapid onset of palpitations
- Suicidal thoughts that do not cease
Call 911 and go to the ER if you or a friend experiences any of the aforementioned symptoms. Do not go to or stay at home, thinking the symptoms will cease.
Rate this health tip
Thaddeus J. Bell, MD
I am Dr. Thaddeus John Bell, closing the gap in health disparities for African Americans and the underserved.
Receive Free Healthy Tips from Dr. Bell
Sign up to receive tips and updates from Dr. Bell.
Every two weeks you will receive a handy tip in your mailbox.